We’re looking for a user experience aficionado and product guardian to join our growing startup company.
Via TRM is a B2B software company in the edtech and travel spaces and we’re powering the next generation of global citizens with Traveler Relationship Management products.
We help study abroad offices at universities and educational travel companies increase participation on domestic and international programs and simplify their workday with simple and affordable advising & enrollment management software, Via Global. We help global risk management offices track and manage group & solo travel and travelers with Via Travel.
We are looking for a Product Designer to take charge of the entire process of creating products and valuable experiences, including UX/UI, project management, and identifying user problems. Product designers also support the developers through the launch process and collaborate with the business team to ensure alignment between the company brand and the product.
You are, in short, the guardian of the product: ensuring we have the most relevant, simple, and affordable product that Clients and travelers are happy with. You’ll create and reimagine functional and appealing features across our product suite that address our Clients’ needs and help us grow our customer base. You’ll design with accessibility in mind from day one. You’ll rely on user data & feedback to inform your own creative process.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and encourage applications from qualified applicants from all walks of life, regardless of your race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This position offers a remote work environment, competitive salary, paid-time and holidays off, health insurance, paid parental leave, may include occasional work travel post-pandemic, and opportunities to grow within a values-driven company.
THE BEST- FIT CANDIDATE WILL…
- Be results, Client, and mission driven
- Be comfortable operating independently and adapt to change
- Hold self and others accountable for continuous learning and improvement
- Successfully transition between vision/big picture and tactics/details
- Enjoy being the sole full time designer on the team to start (we are transitioning from our UX/UI contract partnerships to bring this function in house)
WHAT YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Creating and improving user experience across the product suite
- Updating & maintaining our company’s Design System
- User accessibility across devices & browsers
- Adhering to style standards on fonts, colors and images
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Gather and evaluate user requirements in collaboration with business team (sales, Client Success, technical project managers, operations) and software engineers
- Visualize design ideas using sketches, storyboards, process flows, etc.
- Validate user workflows and review with relevant stakeholders prior to engineering implementation
- Design user interface elements
- Build page navigation buttons and search fields
- Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how sites function and flow
- Create original graphic designs (e.g. images, sketches and tables)
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness, accessibility, confusing navigation, lack of clarity, etc.)
- Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback
- Adhere to style standards on fonts, colors and images
- Reporting to the executive team on product goals, metrics, and user insights
- Advise the business team on user flows & experience in our marketing website (viatrm.com) and participate in improving user experience there as needed
REQUIREMENTS/ MUST HAVES
- Comfortable working in an environment where innovation and change are the norm and often encouraged
- A formal certification in UX/UI design
- A passion for building great digital products
- 4+ years of full-time experience working in UX/UI design at a product company
- Experience working directly with engineers & guiding implementation of designs
- A portfolio of prior products you’ve designed
DESIRED/ NICE TO HAVES
- A personal passion or experience for studying, living, or traveling abroad
- A bachelor’s degree in UX/UI, graphic design, or visual communication/arts
- Experience working at a startup
PASS THIS BY IF YOU…
- Are a design firm or contractor (inquiries will not be responded to)
- Do not currently live and already work in the United States (inquiries will not be responded to)
- Have not yet worked full time in a professional setting
- Cannot achieve your best results in a remote work environment
- Do not thrive off of solving problems with a small team
- Feel uncomfortable in either a mentoring or learning capacity
Introduce yourself and apply for the position, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include a resume. If you have a GitHub profile, please include a link in your initial email.